Sunday, December 30, 2007

Long rides and Learnings


It has been quite a while since Ben and I took a long ride non-stop. Well, last night I had such a ride.

We rode non-stop all the way from Dairy Farm to East Coast Mac where I had a huge breakfast before riding back from Orchard to Old Holland Road then back to The Rail Mall for a drink.

Sounds very boring, but that was how it was. It was just plain riding. The interesting part of the day was not the ride but the conversation I had with a friend whom I met afterwards.

After listening to my friend's story, I discovered a few things.

1.) People need a purpose in life.

2.) They seek what they wish to seek only to find out that it was the process they enjoyed and not the end result. (So what if the ends justify the means? Even if it did not, one could still enjoy the learning process!)

3.) Contentment is so lacking in people today as they want more and more things. There is never a perfect something/anything for them.

4.) Pain is something that is only a small part of life but people make it seem as though it is a huge part of their lives and get driven/affected by it.

5.) Most of the things we concern ourselves with usually has minimal effect over our lives but we tend to spend so much time and energy focused on them, not doing anything about it and neglecting the things that really matter to us.

6.) There is a time and place for everything. To concern oneself before it is time, is a waste of time and there is nothing you can do in reality.

7.) The greatest lesson I felt after listening to my friend was that one needs to learn how to be happy. Happiness is something that people associate with things or people in their lives today and in my opinion, that is not truly being happy.

To be happy, BE happy. You need nothing else.
Just BE...


While coming to realization of all the above, I am sad to say that I too am guilty of the charges presented above from time to time. However, it is the constant conscious effort to work around them that make us better and happier people as we grow and learn. I had a wonderful lesson this morning.

Thank you my friend!


Ride Details
Distance : 115.97km
Avg Spd : 22.3km/h
Ride time : 4hr 58min




There is an answer, some day we will know,
And you will ask her, why she had to go,
We live and die, we laugh and we cry,
And you must take away the pain,
Before you can begin to live again;

So let it start, my friend, let it start,
Let the tears come rolling from your heart,
And when you need a light in the lonely night,
Carry me like a fire in your heart,
Carry me like a fire in your heart;

There is a river, rolling to the sea,
And you'll be with her for all eternity,
But we that remain need you here again,
So hold you in her memory,
And begin to make the shadows disappear;

Yes let it start, my friend, let it start,
Let the love come rolling from your heart,
And when you need a light in the lonely night,
Carry me like a fire in your heart,
Carry me like a fire in your heart;

And when you need a light in the lonely night,
Carry me like a fire in your heart,
Carry me like a fire in your heart;

And when you need a light in the lonely night,
Carry me like a fire in your heart,
Carry me like a fire in your heart;


To cry is to feel JOY flowing,
Allow that...



No comments: