Monday, December 24, 2007

Back again...

As a major happening for the year ended, I breath a sigh of relief and can finally start blogging again. Ha...

Had 2 rides since the Sedili ride but don't think I would document them here as they were both midnight rides to our usual eating places. However, the thing is that I am now clocking rides that are usually 100km or longer. That's a good sign. Hope to keep that up to build base for longer rides. Planning to do Cameron Highlands this coming Jan 08. Hope the hotel rates and weather turn favourable.

Anyway, I'm slowly building a pack list of items that I would needing for touring and the latest items collected were

1.) Zebra brand stainless steel pot cum lunch box $18.50/-.
2.) maple fire stove that has an interesting adapter for steamboat stove gas canisters.



Canister gas that adapts to the standard threaded Lindel screw head of camping butane canisters by means of a custom made adapter(bottom left grey object)


Bottom end attaches to canister butane gas common used in steamboat stoves. These canisters are readily available all over the world and are cheap.


Original threaded Lindel screw top for standard screw top gas canisters.

Adapter attached to the hose.

Anyway, given the adapter, you have a choice of using either standard threaded Lindel Screw top canisters or the more commonly available canister butane fuels. As a side note, you will not be able to find the Lindel headed canisters in Singapore. Travellers from abroad, please note!



Wanted to test it out straight away so I did what anybody could do. I tested both items out on a simple meal of Cream of Chicken Penne.

Recipe:
150g of 14min cook penne.
1 packet of instant cream of chicken from campbell
water

Once setup, the stove looks like the MSR Whisper Lite!

A very even flame roars away as the water in the pot heats up.


Aha, the deed is done and my supper ready... The best part, total cooking time, was exactly 3min for boiling the water and 14min for cooking the pasta!

Nothing fantastic seated at home in the comfort of my armchair and hi-fi, but on a tour, this is something to die for, especially when you are cold and hungry! Well, that just about sums up about the stove and Pot.

A good thing about the lunch box is that the pot has a handle built in and the whole thing is self locking!!!

ps - the stove fits into the pot!!!



Next item on the list, bike overhaul!!!

Man you should have seen the crap on my bike after riding in the rain and using Finish Lines Ceremic Lube. My bike does not like it. The lube is great for rainy days as it stays on the chain, but after a wet ride, you find that it not only has stayed on your chian, it has also flicked off onto your chainstay, downtube and also your bike shorts. Damn!!! Your derailler turns from silver to black. My jockey cage turned black and even my shiny cassette turned the most deathly of colours, not to mention my drive side crank arm also turned black from the lube. I must say, the price of lube lasting in the rain is really really a pain in the ass...

I took it as a chance to get my hands really dirty. I did a complete overhaul of my bike. I took out everything from my bike and gave it a complete cleaning. All that was left were my cranks and headset short of me having the tools to remove them. It took me 7hours to finally clean and tune up the bike. Now my baby looks as bright as before and rides like the wind and I will stick to White Lightning for most part of the riding.

Save the ceramic lube for epics I guess.

1 comment:

-ben said...

I wonder how your Zebra stainless steel pot compares with MSR's StowAway Pots.

The Pocket Rocket / Titan Kettle Kit seems to be doing what you've done, albeit at a higher price (well, to be fair, the pot is titanium). Still, rather interesting.

I am quite impressed by the 1.7 liter Reactor, but it is twice the price of the 1 liter JetBoil PCS.

For the price of a Reactor, I can get a JetBoil GCS.

For (road) bicycle touring in North America, however, I will probably get the necessary accessories to make up the this.

For the wilderness or international travel, nothing beats the reliability or versatility of MSR's liquid fuel stoves. Butane canisters suffer significant decrease in pressure at lower temperatures. Fuel bottles allow the ease to increase pressure to compensate by the use of the pump. A useful flowchart.

Have you checked out Snow Peak? They are based in Japan and are rather popular in USA for their high-end, ultra-light stoves. FWIW, their Giga Power fuel canisters are identical to JetBoil's.

Their minimalist Trek 700 kit is interesting.

Curiously, their Two Way Lantern and Delta Pod CB Stove seems to utilize those "Steamboat" canisters.

Solar Panels. Brunton has the latest technology on these, but they do cost.

The Lindel-to-canister-adaptor you gave me will work wonderfully with this really cool Canister Stove Stand Convertor from Brunton. It would convert my JetBoil burner into a standard remote stove stand. That way, I will be able to use it in South East Asia and not sacrifice stability of the stove. Pretty cool, eh? I will probably get Calvin to get one in for me to play with.

As for Finish Line Ceramic Lube, I had to run the Chain Machine twice before I could get rid of the black. It was that bad. Still, it is easier to get off than the Synthetic Cross-Country Lube. The next time I go for a long wet ride, it is going to be that. That stuff cannot be removed without degreaser. The morning after a long wet ride should be spent over a hot cup of coffee, not relubing a chain.