Wednesday, November 14, 2007

New toys and more crazy riding

So its back to Viki's or some new toys. Bought a Garmin GPS 60 to better plot my cycling routes for future references. Got too tired of visually plotting the route using Google Earth . Now, I just upload it via USB directly into Google Earth PLUS after paying the US$20/- yearly subscription. In my opinion, it's worth it! Saves you a lot of eye-strain hunting blurred, clouded, not updated satellite images of google maps. You can also use MotionedBased to do the job. Haven't tried though but I'll do a full write-up once I have tested it out with the unit thoroughly, but in the meantime, here are some comments I have for the unit.

Quite bulky but it is very visible while travelling as it sports a larger than average display as compared to other handheld GPSs. The waypoint recording is highly accurate as referenced with the picture on google maps and physical location, subjected to full 3D capturing of waypoints. Try not to stand just outside the shop to take waypoint as you are usually partially sheltered by the building. This has resulted in one of my waypoints being 500m off-course which I later traced to it being that I did not have a full 3D lock on the location.

[Tip! That extra 2mins you spend acquiring a full signal would save you miles later on the way back. More, if you are elevated/climbing!]

Sexy design sporting user friendly water-proof buttons for easy single-handed use and rubber studded side-grips for those slippery and wet moments... hee :p


Route taken was half-manually plotted. As you can see from the pic, the light green line was plotted by me and the cyan one by the GPS.

Highlight of the day happened just as we started riding. I went tree-hugging just 20 mins into the ride... I was very lucky to only sustain minor abrasions and bruises on my left shoulder and thigh considering that I was going very very fast. Flipping my stem over really made a difference to the profile of my riding, not to mention the handling of the bike too. Check out the vid.



All in all, this ride was an interesting one as we located new bike shops and makan places. Had chunky grass jelly and soya bean curd along Upp Serangoon Road, also managed to find 1 of the 3 Scott distributors in Singapore called Swiss Valley along River Valley Road and we found a little bikers haven for cool drinks and chillin out. Go check out Ambrosia. It's a Mediterranean restaurant that has the coolest slushes and refreshing drinks. Didn't have a camera then so will write more and post more pics there when we visit again.

Till then....


Trip Details:
Distance : 103.51km
Avg Spd : 20.3km/h
Ride Time : 5hrs 5min
Crash speed : 60.7km/h

No comments: