Thursday, November 15, 2007

The Great Murtabak Hunt!


After the crash at Jalan Kampong Chantek, I decided I had to re-visit the site and document the crash site. I headed out to Ben's late at night about 2am and we made our way there the reverse direction to take pictures of the damaged kerb and steep slope. You can see the video in my previous post on the full story. I shall not go into details here and will focus on something of greater importance... my hunger...

I was famished by the time I finished taking the pictures and was craving for a good murtabak thinking back on the one at Telok Blangah, thus began the quest for murtabak. Since we were at BT, I thought that the coffee shop at 6th avenue would be open. We rode there only to find that it was closed...it should have been opened if I remembered correctly..... anyway, further up was Adam Road food centre, I thought,"This time sure got one....". We reached, parked our bikes and I approached the indian prata shop in the food centre only to discover to my demise, "Solly boss, vee are crozing...". I could not believe it! It was as though it was a conspiracy. Ben even suggested a network of indian prata houses that would phone ahead to tell the other stalls to beware of a murtabak monster riding towards them.... 2nd last resort, Mr Prata just along the road by the old SMU, current NUS.

Typical of Ben when he said, "Ay, Hon Shin, later you reach there they say closed for cleaning". Now this was something that was highly possible as we ride past there quite often and we always observe that they are usually cleaning the place... Mr Prata was kind to me; they were open. I went in there and ordered a mutton cheese murtabak and a teh tarik, Ben being afraid that he would end up Jolly like a mutual friend of ours, decided to just have a teh tarik. The murtabak came very quickly and disappeared very quickly too... For second helpings, Ben ordered a cheese roti tissue and another round or drinks. That disappeared pretty fast too and we were on our way again.

Heading back this time along BT was the best ride of all nights as we were so early that there was no traffic to beat. Brilliant, till Ben suggested we take a right up the hill towards upp BT road from the main junction at BT plaza. After having a full murtabak and half a roti tissue climbing up a long long climb as like trying to squeeze out all that I had stomached. Now, South Bouna Vista doesn't sound that bad after all...

I was tired by then and decided to head back home to sleep and that concludes our short documenting, recovery and makan ride for the night.


Ride details:
Distance : 28.79km
Avg Spd : 16.9km/h
Ride Time : 1hr 42min

1 comment:

-ben said...

Oh ya! I totally forgot about the murtabak in your tummy. Damn it! I could have suggested a Tour de Hills of Singapore or something :-P